The mission of the Savannah Council on World Affairs (SCWA) is to foster individual awareness of, broaden community interest in, and promote the study of international issues, and to work with other organizations concerned with similar objectives.
SYNOPSIS OF OUR COUNCIL
The Savannah Council was founded in 1984, and is one of the 83 councils with approximately 80,000 members in the US affiliated with the World Affairs Councils of America, established in 1918. Membership is open to everyone interested in the Savannah Council’s mission and programs. Many people in our community find membership in our organization to be a valuable asset for a deeper understanding of international affairs.
See our Get Involved page to learn more about becoming a member.
WHAT WE DO
- Provides a forum for discussion of international affairs by hosting monthly programs from September through May. Speakers are recognized authorities including current and former government officials, diplomats, educators, journalists, and members of non-governmental organizations. They come from both the U.S. and around the world. These programs have been offered since 1984.
- Acts a non-partisan, tax-exempt organization and neither participates in political campaigns nor attempts to influence legislation. Is considered the premier organization providing information to the citizens of our country on international affairs. It organizes an annual National Conference focused on a subject or region of current interest, which many members of the Council choose to attend.
- Grants a stipend to several undergraduates to assist in their decision to study abroad during the summer. Undergraduates from Savannah State, Armstrong Atlantic State and Georgia Southern Universities are chosen using the following criteria: a) they have already been selected for a study abroad program, b) they have a good academic record, and c) they have financial need. Each stipend recipient gives a brief report on their program at the beginning of one of our Fall programs.
- Offers a college-level “Great Decisions” program, implemented in the form of an Honors course at Armstrong Atlantic State University and Savannah State University.
- Participates in travel programs sponsored by the Philadelphia Council. A wide variety of guided trips are available each year, and some are outstanding values. For further information on these programs, click here.
OFFICERS, PROGRAM CHAIRS, & DIRECTORS